Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Destination: Middle Earth (AKA Central Otago Region)

Central Otago Rail Trail:
Cycling Thru Middle Earth
by Bruce Morrison, owner, Christchurch Gay Stay


The Central Otago Rail Trail is a 150km cycle track which was formerly part of the rail network from Dunedin to Clyde. The line from Middlemarch to Clyde was closed in the 1990s and when the rails were removed a cycleway was born.
I have ridden the track three times, and believe it is one of the great ways to soak up the atmosphere of Central Otago. I first rode the track in 2000 and there was a lack of services like accommodation, bike hire, and transport back then but the track’s success has led to better catering for cyclists needs.
I’m possibly organising a group ride again in October ... a freedom ride where I book accommodation and transport, rather than a guided ride. If you would like information send me an email christchurchgaystay@paradise.net.nz. Happy Trails, Bruce

1 comment:

michael said...

I had the extreme pleasure of staying with Bruce in the gay home stay in Christchurch Gaystay. What an amazing home stay. From the moment you meet him you feel like an old friend. His home is absolutely lovely and well appointed. I felt like I was in a 5 star hotel, beautiful linens and marvelous d├ęcor. But the best was Bruce. He is so friendly and open. He made a fabulous tour guide and made my stay in Christchurch one of the best in New Zealand. Do not hesitate at all to book with Bruce. You will love it!